Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Guangzhou - Day 31

May 26, 2015

At Guangdong Konggang Hotel, there was still NO water.

My mother went downstairs and complained. She told the staff that it had been 2 days since we took a shower, and apparently only our room did not have water. So after this and that, somebody came up to our room to fix the water tank. Long story short, our water came back. The end. It was the water tank in our washroom.

We were ready to set off again, our last day in Guangzhou and we have to make full use of it. Once we got to the station, I promptly took a picture of the "coin ticket" needed to access the platform.

We stumbled upon a street that sells ONLY belts, but it was just too much to look at, it was like an endless path that continues forever. It was still quite early in the morning, perhaps 10 am? and there was virtual nobody on the streets. To me, it seems like China always have streets dedicated towards a certain product say belts, jade, flowers, bras, etc.


Hualin Jade Street. Endless jade stores that sold jade and the like. I would walk close to the stores cause usually they have AC on. HOHOHOHO. ヽ(*≧ω≦)ノ

Hualin Jade Street

The First Tunnel of Guangzhou is like a mall with department stores, restaurants, etc. Once inside, you have to choose which path you want to take- many many paths all in different directions. The upper levels? second level? was filled with expensive clothing (well, out of my budget) while the bottom level was usually wholesale clothing stores. It was difficult to find something I liked in the stores since the clothes aren't my style. Also, due to the shops being wholesale shops, some of them won't sell you anything unless you are buying a batch; or if you are buying one, they would sell it to you for a high price which you need to put your bargaining skills to the test.

One way or another we went exploring and kept on encountering wholesale shops... I don't know what to say... It was just an odd experience... and just before heading to Shangxiajiu we grabbed lunch for 56 RMB.

Shangxiajiu Pedestrian Street - Great place for food, entertainment and shopping! And I repeat "FOOD!" We didn't really spend a lot of time here but I forgot why...



The first thing we did when we got here was to purchase bubble tea @ 58度C! There was a takoyaki stand just adjacent to the bubble tea stall so we got some that too! I love takoyaki, so when I see cheap takoyaki (8RMB for 6 balls; in Vancouver, 6 balls cost $3.75) it is a must BUY! Anyways, back to the58度C bubble tea stall, there was actually two identical stalls both across from each other with the same promotions, I'm not sure what the intent of that- good thing they have an English menu. I got a strawberry slush while my sister got a MANGO slush, me so sad; 3 drinks for 36 RMB. When we ordered the takoyaki we also ordered some salted egg sticks that cost 4RMB for three sticks. We sat in front of the stall cause they provided a low (very low) table and squatting seats. It's like it's for children. LOL. ☚(゚ヮ゚☚)

I also got a hurricane potato, BBQ flavor! Fist time trying hurricane potato and it was cheap too, 10 RMB. While me, my sister and mother wandered around and took pictures with some sculptures, a young effeminate man approached us and told us to come with him; he gave us some vouchers for some free samples,  and if we followed him he would be able to guide us to the store. He also gave me and my sister a pinwheel spinner and pulled me to follow him.

Well, being the naive me, I held onto the pinwheel spinner while holding and eating the hurricane potato and followed that young man. Initially, my sister tried to give back the pinwheel spinner but I wasn't in my right mind so I continued to follow and my sister and mother had no choice but to follow behind me. My mother kept on telling me to give back the pinwheel spinner, it was like my mind was just so focused on eating I ignored her. The young man guided us into a mall and down a creepy and deserted hall towards the boutique. Once we got to our destination, it was a beauty boutique, and when the guy who led us there entered with us three, one of the two woman whispered to the person beside her and said "Wow, there's three of them." (in Cantonese) Now THAT sentence made it all so fishy and my mother, sister and me quickly said that we don't want the pinwheel and promptly gave it back to that man, but the two women tried to get us to stay and listen to them talk. Yeah right, I'm sure they would just talk. This was just utterly creepy and a waste of time - it might've been a scam also! Good thing we got out before anything happened.  (; ̄д ̄)

There was also a large department store near here and I bought some t-shirts and funny printed underwear while my mother splurged on clothing for my brothers - not that they are in need of new clothing... Now that I am wearing the panties, it is so tiny, and the thread came loose very fast. I only wore that one pair  for less than 1 month and it's ripped apart already. I'm not fat or anything, it's just too small for a 170 cm slim Asian female.

I don't remember what happened during the evening and what we did, even though that was less than a year ago. Well, I do remember my sister getting a stomachache and had to go to the washroom so I couldn't walk through this other mall (very large-  perhaps 8 levels?). So utterly sad. The mall was multilevel and they had some very nice shops too. Somehow we ended up leaving and headed back to the hotel. But good thing, we shopped a little around the station we got off at, there's a home-stationary shop so I got to buy some stickers! Woot woot! This time when we went back to the hotel, we didn't get lost! Wonderful!

Just before entering the hotel we went next door to grab some late-night dessert, some kind of mango stuff - 19 RMB. And once we entered the hotel, we checked with the reception desk when the airport pickup bus would arrive; we had to book it in advance. Once we got to our room, it was shower time! It feels so great to finally take a shower and wash my hair that day! I just feel so refreshed! The next day would be another tough one, early rising and to the airport we go. Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment