Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Kaohsiung, Taiwan to Cijin Island - Day 8

April 3, 2018

Our day started with complimentary breakfast from the hotel. It was a bit odd as we had to exit the hotel and then head next door and walk down some narrow stairs to eat breakfast in the basement. There were very few people there, perhaps only 5 people but the breakfast buffet is not very big anyways. (๑′°︿°๑) The food selection is not very appetizing as well. I only had a bowl of congee, some noodles, one sunny side egg and some sliced apples. After finishing our breakfast, we had to clear the tables ourselves.


Sad breakfast

Direction to Cijin Island:
MRT to Xihiwan station (exit 1) and walk to Gushan Ferry Terminal (~10 mins walk).

We got a bit lost after exiting the station. We used our google maps and followed the route, and on the way there, there are people handing out flyers as well as trying you get you to rent their bikes. They are also very helpful as one of them helped direct us to the ferry terminal. On our way there, we went into a convenience store and only bought "ONE" bottle of water.

First stop of the day is Cijin Island。.゚+:((ヾ(。・ω・)シ)).:゚+。




























Some temple we passed by on the way to the ferry terminal.

The cost for the ferry ride was very cheap.

**TIP:  Pay with Easycard, if you pay by cash you must make sure you have exact change as they do not give change back.**

It was a pretty neat experience watching the ferry load and unload passengers. A lot of people drove into the ferry on their motor bikes or bicycles and sat there till we reached the dock and rode it out. The ferry ride itself was only ~10 minutes long.

There are two ticket options, the first being 25NT per person and the other is if you have a bike/motor bike or non cijin islanders - cost is 40NT.

The ferry getting ready to depart (ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧




























I sat by the side to soak in the view and feel the breeze! ヾ(・ω・。)シ





























You can see the lighthouse on tip of the hill.
Close to docking. 




























We rented a bike to ride around the island. 100NT per day but need identification card as well and they will secure it till you return the bike. The bike rental store was right in front of the ferry terminal so no need to fear. They also provide a bike lock as well as a map of the bike route containing attractions in the vicinity. 


The start of the biking route - started sweating in the heat.



We arrived at the start of the hike to Cijin lighthouse. I think they have the barriers here to prevent people riding their electric bikes or bicycle up? We locked our bikes at the bottom and made our way up. It was blazing hot that day, 30 degrees ++


The start of a uphill battle ... (((φ(◎ロ◎;)φ)))

Heading towards the lighthouse. My misery starts, the hike up the hill was like walking in a dessert. I did not bring water, no hat, no sunscreen. It was so sunny and hot and under the sun I was drenched in sweat and had to resort to using the bike route paper to fan myself. 


Cijin Lighthouse was built in 1883 and rebuilt in 1918 by the Japanese during colonization. At the top you can view down towards the ports.

**TIP: The lighthouse is closed on Mondays and open between the hours of 9-5PM.


You can also enter part of the lighthouse, inside is like a mini museum with miniature models of the lighthouse as well as information and maps.



View from the lighthouse.





























Longevity Mountain

Next we headed to Cihou Fort which is 5 minutes away from the lighthouse. You cannot bring your bike inside so we parked it just outside someone's house. (●´艸`) If you walk on top of the fort, you can see some spectacular views!! The fort was built to defend against invasion. 

Entrance to the Fort 

































Some picturesque views from the top of the fort.



Next, we walked our bikes through the star tunnel which passes through Cijin Mountain. As you approach the tunnel it gets darker and darker inside and you'll see constellations glowing on the walls. It was very pretty.  ★彡 At the end of the tunnel is a secret view of the ocean. This tunnel was initially used during the military for soldiers to hide and ambush.





























A view of the sea. The sand is grey. 



























It was a bit windy in this part of the island. Also the space is quite limited so if there is a large tourist group then it might be a bit hard to take pictures.


And then it was time for us to head back to continue onto the beach route. The bike route takes you around the beach which was pure scenery for us. 

Along the path, you will encounter several art installations. There were so many people at the rainbow church; there was also a line to get a picture underneath the rainbow church. 

Rainbow Church 

And then a bit further down the route....


Giant Shell


The windmills.
Halfway through our trip to the island I started to feel very sick. I felt so dizzy and short of breath as well as sweating profusely. Unbeknownst to me, I was experiencing heat exhaustion. I developed a fever right after as well. When your body start sending you signals and you don't feel like yourself, you got to trust your gut that something is wrong otherwise it could turn deadly. I had to rest and drink a bit of fluid then went to the washroom but felt like fainting afterwards. After resting a bit, I knew I had to keep on going otherwise it would be a waste of a trip to the island so we started heading back to the harbour. I was so tired of riding my bike as well that my legs felt like it was going to give way.

Once we returned our bikes and got on the ferry back to Kaohsiung, I could not lift my head so I didn't have the chance to sit at the open windows. I trying hard not to vomit. Once we returned to land, my sister was hungry and wanted something to eat. 

Oyster noodles - Kaohsiung is famous for their oysters

The oyster noodles tasted okay, not spectacular, but my sister thought it tasted pretty good. I would've had more if I didn't feel so nauseous. The broth was pretty good though, but a little too spicy for my taste.

Close-by, we saw a huge crowd of people eating shaved ice at this one particular shop while there were an abundance of shaved ice shops in the vanity. It was a bit sad eating here as other shaved ice shop owners were watching and you just can't help but feel bad as they have no business. I have to conclude the shaved ice tasted so good!! A lot of condensed milk with redbean and giant mochi balls. The portion as well is huge!! We shared this between the two of us. So good on a hot day. There is a English menu so fear not as well as an abundance of seats outside.

Forgot the name of this place though, but it was so good!!!  Would gladly come back for the shaved ice. 

Afterwards we took the MRT back to Formosa station and then to Yanchengpu ( Exit 1) then walk 5 mins along Dayong road to Pier-2 Art Center.

Pier-2 Art Center features many public art installations that expands several blocks. You can spend at least an hour here walking around and taking instagamable pictures. The Pier also have museums and exhibits as well but you do have to buy a ticket for that. MAKE SURE TO COME HERE!!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT. Unfortunately for me, I had to stop half way and sat at the train platform to rest and my sister went to explore the rest of the area and only came back to pick me up.

"Profile"

"Labor and Fishwoman"

Not sure if you can sit on these chairs though. I think you can.




























SO CUTE!!! Friends sitting together. "Sit here, do nothing" 


ROBOT!!




























Here you can see rail tracks, that is because you can take the train to the other side of the pier and admire artworks as well (or you can opt to walk to the other side too). I wanted to see the upside down house! ಥ_ಥ





The trash cans reminds me of Wall-E. (I'm not sure why)
I got a stamp at the art pier inside some kind of building. After this, we walked back to the station to take the train back to the hotel. My sister spotted a Gongcha so she went over to grab BBT while I sat outside the station and waited for her. It feels so bad to be ill during a vacation and you can't eat anything. 

I couldn't go on anymore and had to head back to the hotel to rest as I was having a fever. I was too weak to walk and had trouble keeping my head up. I told my sister to go on without me and she went to the attraction that I really really wanted to go which was the lotus pond. So sad. (ఠ్ఠ ˓̭ ఠ్ఠ) In the meantime, I took a cold shower and it really did help a lot. I was experiencing heat exhaustion and I did not know it (thought it was just a fever). So unlucky since just a month before I got the flu and was so sick with a fever of 40 degrees. I took some Tylenol and went to bed. My sister came back with bubble tea and street food. She bought back some fried mochi, it tasted so good. One of the best street food in Taiwan so far.

The next day we had to go to Fo Guang Shan and head to Taipei as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment