Saturday, January 24, 2015

Kaiping, Taishan - Day 13 to 15

May 6, 2014

Basically a day to chill out. My mother, sister and I went to the bakery in the morning and bought some pastries and desserts. It's so cheap.

The cakes were around 4-5 RMB each. So I guess, a little less than a dollar each. Quite cheap. But taste wise, it's mediocre.  I know that everything together was around 60RMB, so that's only $11 CND.Pastries in China is definitely DAMN cheap!




We also went shopping for shoes, but MY GOD, they do not have my size! I wear a size 8 womens and my sister is a size 7 or 7.5 but they don't have our size. One of them told my sister to get men shoes, so rude. Punch her in the face. I did not buy any shoes in Kaiping even though it was ridiculously cheap. SO utterly sad. On the way back home, my mother brought a nail clipper from a street stand for 3RMB, and it broke later on. We also bought two umbrellas for 20RMB each but now that I am using it here, it sucks.

And we finally ate dinner at home for the first time since we left Vancouver.



May 7, 2014

My aunt said she will bring us to a very big clothing store in Taishan. It was a wholesale warehouse. And it SUCKED. The clothes is mostly for middle aged women. What would mid-twenty year olds want to buy here. I would prefer a shopping MALL. A MALL. Please. It took an 1+ hour to get here (bus ticket cost 36RMB each, had to wait at the bus terminal for the bus) and then we had to take a taxi here; it cost 30 RMB. I had to hold my urine in all day for I don't know how many hours, 6? 7? I tried not to drink anything, and by the way, there's no food stalls in that place or any fast food place nearby. My mother and my aunt bought most of their clothing here. My sister, a few, and me, only 1 skirt; I asked my mom to bargain the skirt from 25 RMB to 20 RMB. YAY. Since this is a wholesale store, they don't really sell individual pieces of clothing, if you do want to buy it, it would be at a higher price. The clothes that I liked was pretty expensive. Don't want to spend $10CND here. Towards the end, I found a store that I wanted to go look at, but my mother told me that we were leaving. Argh.There's a lot of children and middle-aged women clothing.

Totally not what I expected my aunt to bring us to. . 

There is a toilet here but the sellers said that it was very dirty. My sister and mother really have to go to the toilet so they asked one of the stores if they had a toilet they can use and they said yes, but told them it is only to urinate in. Regardless, it was a squatting toilet and nasty inside. Never want to come back here again.

It was difficult getting home from Taishan cause we needed to catch the "special" bus to Kaiping and it stops running quite early so we had to rush to the bus terminal. First we had to take a bus to the bus terminal and we weren't sure which bus to take, but the passengers on the bus were quite nice and helpful. They told us that we took the wrong bus, if we waited for the other bus it would be faster but since we are already on here, this bus would probably be better since we won't know when the other bus would come. Once we got off the bus, we ran to the bus terminal to buy our tickets 36 RMB each again and then waited for the bus to come.

We were all starving, so we went to "Sweet Smell Town" to eat. Sweet Smell Town is located in Kaiping and is very close to our place, I would say perhaps a 10 minutes walk away. It is a pastry chain but this particular store also have a connecting restaurant. The menu was very cheap! SO CHEAP! Can never eat like this in Vancouver. My meal cost 25RMB (less than $5 CND) and it includes 2 soup, 1 milk tea, and rice with chicken?
 My dinner! - honestly, I just wanted the milk tea; it came with too many soup!

























The total cost of the dinner was 79 yuan (~$15CND). My mother's dinner was the cheapest, only 12 RMB ($2.50 CND), the set in front of mine. You don't have to pay tax or tips here.

And after I got home, I got diarrhea.


May 8, 2014

Shopping at nearby shops. Interesting stores I spotted.


This logo looks exactly like the one I've designed in high school, like "exactly" alike. NOT even joking; the halo, the wings, the letters. My god.

























This is a great shopping area, Muyong West Road, there's lots of cute stuff in the red store on the left. The prices are actually not that cheap, you can find cheaper if you walk into the street and enter some not so appealing stores. But the store on the left is like a heaven for people who LOVES cute stuff, there's a lot of plushies too. I'm regretting not buying the squirrel plushie, it was only 50RMB. Muyong West Road have lot of clothing and shoes store. There various boutiques that sell more modern and trendy clothing for young adults, but it is not on the cheap side. Despite this, this is a great shopping area with food stalls and fast food joints.

I bought mostly some deco-deco stuff. It was 8RMB each (a bit less than $2CND each) and a ducky speaker, around $3 CND. My mother bought a couple of alarm clocks, too expensive and doesn't really work; some bags and my sister bought a lot of pens.


There's one store that me and my sister went into and the employee started gossiping about us because we have been inside for an hour already. My mother was in another boutique shopping for clothes for my brothers. There was so much to look at and the prices were so cheap, I was engaged with looking through stickers. Yes, I feel like I should've brought more. It was at most 3.5 RMB each. Everything was so cheap, but I don't have the luggage for it since my mother and grandmother bought so much stuff for themselves. I would like to come back to this area to shop again, IF I ever return to Kaiping.I believe we spent almost 50RMB in this store-mostly on stickers. Bra straps were pretty cheap here too, the invisible kind - 2RMB.

No comments:

Post a Comment