Saturday, January 24, 2015

Kaiping - Day 14 to 18

May 9, 2014

A lazy day for me again. My mother went in the morning to buy bread, while I stayed at home with the AC on and read manga.

Those sushi looking swiss rolls are quite dry. But the eggtarts were pretty good and super cheap though it is kind of small.

And today was the day that my mother, sister and I were going to get our haircut. My aunt brought us to a back alley hair salon that was approximately 5 minutes away from our place. The hair salon is surrounded by old apartment buildings. My sister and my haircut cost 10RMB each, while my mother did a perm which cost around 200RMB. I was skeptical about his techniques since the salon was in an alley with nobody around and there were no customers except us, plus the salon looked very run down with ancient equipments.

We were there for more than 1 hour and we also had a dinner that we need to go to. My mother didn't know that her perm would take that long; while waiting for her, it started raining cats and dogs. It was just POURING like nuts. There were thunder and lightening too. We didn't know how to walk back to the apartment because the streets were flooded by now; there's like no drainage system. We saw people walking with their shoes off.

 Outside of the hair salon.


















































We didn't know how to get home. Do we get somebody to go home first and then fetch us some slippers or what? Luckily, my mother's friend arrived at the apartment to pick us up, but we weren't there and my aunt told them that we were stuck at the hair salon due to the flood and they came to pick us up there. LUCKY.
We went out to eat with my mother's best friend? during her hospital days. They invited us for dinner at a restaurant that's very far away, in the middle of nowhere. The food tasted quite good, too bad I didn't take a picture of it. The private room we had was quite nice, there was a private washroom and little living room area and at the back was the dinner area. When we left the restaurant, the streets were flooded so we had to turn back many times to find another route home.


May 10, 2014

Since cakes are so cheap in Kaiping, I couldn't help myself and got two more. It's not my birthday, but since it was green tea I wanted to try it. And the Oreo one was mousse cake- quite delicious.



















































We went shopping at night, around 8PM, we walked over the bridge to get to the shopping area. I guess you could say it takes around 15 minutes to walk there. The shopping area we went to was similar to a night market but it closed quite early, around 9-10PM; we were busy shopping at the 2 RMB store. In my experience so far, I think it is best to shop at night if you are in Kaiping since that is when the vendors set up their store.


May 11 - May 13, 2014

Went out for dim sum in the morning near our place. We got another private room that came with AC, a private washroom, a LCD television and a nice view from the room. This dim sum place is kind of different from the usual; you had to go into the open restaurant area and order your food from a menu displayed at the top or choose from some plates already placed on a long table and then the waitress will roll it to your room. I believe the dim sum cost 138 RMB (~$26 CND).




For the next two days, we were planning our trip to Hong Kong. We bought our bus tickets 1 day before and we booked our hotel less than 12 hours before checking in; it was quite difficult finding a hotel because the internet was extremely slow and most of the hotels were already booked. It was a long night. The bus tickets from Kaiping to Hong kong cost 135 RMB ($25CND) per person which is not bad for a ~3 hours bus ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment